Monday 2 May 2022

STUDIO INTERNATIONAL

yo!.. painting is dead.. innit!



I read in 1969..

in a magazine called..

studio international..

that painting was dead..

it was a set back..

for sure..

I was 17..

and painting was what I was doing..



at the latest John Moores painting prize..

there had been a lot of blank canvases..

it was disappointing..

because I love to see paintings..

I like to look close up..

to see the marks..

the surface of the canvas..

I love the colours..

I really do enjoy looking at paintings..




In our local gallery of contemporary art..

there are very rarely any paintings shown..

the folks there prefer to show 'art'

international contemporary art..

it's a thing..




somewhere along the way..

all these clever folks..

have hijacked art for themselves..

and their friends..

and now they call all the shots..




so to go see paintings..

it's not so easy these days..




it's a good thing that  painting is dead..

because damian hirst said that..

death is the greatest idea in art..

death is the big idea..



and Damien thinks big..

the bigger the better..

me..

I'll just keep on painting..

It's what I do..

A lot of my favourite painters..

are dead also..

I still speak with them..

it's what we do when we paint..

painting is a dialogue..

If you see me talking with mark here..

you are here with us..

 in the souk..
















No comments:

Post a Comment